Apr. 19, 2010
Cornell seeds for sale at Cornell Orchards
The Cornell Orchards is now selling seed packets of select vegetable cultivars developed by Cornell's breeding programs, including:
• Sweet REBA, a disease-resistant early bush acorn squash;
• Honeynut, a miniature butternut squash;
• Greenfinger, a Beit Alpha (European or English-type) cucumber;
• Success PM, a straightneck yellow summer squash;
• PMR Delicious 51, a muskmelon; and
• Hannah's Choice, a muskmelon.
"These cultivars are unique and delicious," says Deb Clover, sales manager at Cornell Orchards. "They have resistance to common disease problems, and they produce high yields in upstate New York and beyond."
Proceeds from sales of these special seeds benefit Synapsis, the graduate student organization of Cornell's Department of Plant Breeding and Genetics.
Clover notes that the store has sales on various items: Cornell cider is available -- buy one half-gallon or gallon and get one free; many apple varieties are also buy one, get one free.
If you spend $25, you get a free reusable Cornell Orchards shopping bag.
The store also sells Cornell maple syrup, Cornell sheep blankets, baked goods, local honey, maple products, jams, preserves, apple butters, books, candles, clothing and many other specialty food items from around the Finger Lakes.
The store is open Tuesday-Saturday, 8:30 a.m.-5 p.m. through early May.